Friday, December 13, 2019

CAR T - 2

I've been suffering steadily increasing back pain for a while now. There was a tumor in my lower spine earlier this year; they treated it with chemotherapy and the pain went away, but it's back now. The doctors have agreed that the best way to treat it is radiation therapy, in the lull before I go to Portland for the long stay. Because of this, we're celebrating Christmas tomorrow.

I wasn't able to do my CT scan today; being on my back hurts the worst, and I couldn't lay still long enough for them to do the scan. They gave me a shot of morphine and tried it again. I made it through the scan the second time, but my back muscles were still on fire. Even blunted by morphine, the pain was excruciating. At least the nap afterwards was nice.

I'm upset. I had a few weeks left of normalcy before I had to go away; now those are gone. I won't be able to kiss my wife, play with my nieces and nephews, or talk to my older siblings for months at a time. In all actuality, it was rather naive of me to think that radiotherapy could be as simple as one visit; it still doesn't take the sting away.

No comments:

Post a Comment